This is a diary of the adventures of two zebra finches, with some other miscellaneous information about the escapades of their companion and ghost writer.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Goodbye, Daryl

I brought Daryl home from the avian vet in a little white box.

He was more sick than I had imagined. The vet suspected something called PDD or Tuberculosis, either one of which would be a disaster for little Daryl. She told me that he had lost so much weight that recovery was questionable. She outlined a plan of diagnosis and temporary treatment before finding out what, exactly, was wrong with him, and then she described the treatment under various scenarios.

He was eating non-stop but it was obvious that he was not digesting his food. As a result, he was very weak, couldn't fly well, and was unstable on his feet.

With the vet's advice I decided that we should put Daryl to sleep permanently which the vet took care of in another room. I'll bury the little guy near the lake tomorrow. Then I'll call the breeder to give him that information, and get another companion for Darryl before he gets too lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment